Wednesday, March 25, 2009

thesis = ugh

ugh... so i am sitting in starbucks trying to work on my thesis. i'm really surprised at what an enormous amount of human will it takes for me to concentrate on my work..

taken from wiki:
Procrastination is a behavior which is characterized by deferment of actions or tasks to a later time. Psychologists often cite procrastination as a mechanism for coping with the anxiety associated with starting or completing any task or decision. Psychology researchers also have three criteria they use to categorize procrastination. For a behavior to be classified as procrastination, it must be counterproductive, needless, and delaying.

I am a specimen of what i like to call "productive procrastination" meaning that in order to procrastinate, I actually do other things that I don't need to do at the time but advance other facets of my life, such as create a new blog, pick out new wallpaper for my desktop, retie my shoes (mind you, i probably tie my shoes once a semester, I keep them tightly tied and just slip my feet in and out), read the whole New York Times, run errands among other things. Bottom-line: I do things that I normally do not do on a regular basis just so I can waste time not to do something I must do. weird eh?

So, going by wiki's definition, which states that procrastination must be counter productive, needless, and delaying, does "productive procrastination" really count as procrastination? Let's go over it in detail:

1. Counterproductive: My procrastination is counterproductive to the task at hand, but is productive in regards to other activities I undertake during this process, like running errands.

2. Needless: The activities I do are unnecessary for the actual task, but are things that I would probably need to do sometime later.

3. Delaying: I am delaying the task I must do, but actually makes me do other things that I would have done later, so really, I'm un-delaying the other things.


So... I know i'm arguing two different sides to the matter, but I rest my case that my form of procrastination is correctly termed as "productive procrastination.

So, I surmise that I will only really update this blog, when I'm procrastinating, which, fortunately for you people who actually read this, will be everyday.

And, of course, I am procrastinating by discussing procrastination. So is my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment